As much and I try to plan ahead and prepare the night before, weekday mornings can still be a little more hectic than I prefer. I can lay out clothing and I can pack bags, but I can’t predict what my kids will want for breakfast in the morning. Or how long it will take them to decide! And, they have some non-traditional breakfast preferences like cheese slices, tortillas, and left-over pasta.
Lately I’ve spent too many mornings standing in front of the pantry with my son, for what seems like an eternity while he assesses the desires of his four year old palate. While, I’m happy to make breakfast a leisurely occasion on the weekend, I’m not as amenable on weekday mornings.
I challenged myself to create a list of 10 quick and easy breakfast ideas. From this list I would strive to always have at least five of the options available. Okay, at least four. Maybe three.
- Fruit – Fruit is always a winner in our house. The key to making it a quick and easy breakfast solution is cutting up fruit the night before making it a grab and go breakfast.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal is a breakfast homerun. It’s simple, it’s healthy, and it can be made in large batches.
- “Toastables” – That is, toast, english muffins, bagels (miniature bagels are very popular at our house), and waffles just to name a few. Toasting takes just a few minutes and there are endless topping and spreads options.
- Pancakes – Pancakes are always a hit, and can be made ahead of time and frozen. Another fun spin on pancakes are pancake bites. I pour pancake batter into mini muffins tins, add toppings, and bake. The result is a fun little bite size pancake.
- Eggs – Eggs are easy and versatile. There are presumably 100 ways to cook an egg. A favorite in our house are mini frittatas which can be quickly heated up and enjoyed throughout the week.
- Cereal and granola – There are endless cereal and granola options out there, and what is quicker or easier than pouring a bowl of cereal?
- Yogurt – My kids don’t mix food (oh, the horror) however adventurous eaters could enjoy yogurt with fruit or granola mixed in creating a breakfast parfait.
- French Toast – What is it about french toast that makes breakfast feel extra special? Check out this delicious recipe for Homemade French Toast.
- Cinnamon Biscuit Jammers – While we’re on the subject of extra special breakfasts, consider this recipe for Cinnamon Biscuit Jammers.
- Muffins – Muffins make a great quick and easy breakfast. There are dozens of optiopns, and they are an easily portable breakfast, too!